A pre-purchase building inspection is a thorough visual inspection of the property which aims to identify any major defects in all areas of the building and its surroundings.
Areas inspected for any major defects include -
- The exterior of the building
- The interior of the building
- The roof and roof tiles
- The sub-floor
- Outbuildings, such as garages and sheds.
The building inspection covers potential defects including -
- Damaged roof coverings, gutters and leaks
- The condition of exposed footings, retaining walls and timber frames
- Leaks and damage to wet areas - bathrooms, laundries and kitchens
- Damp issues to the building and all wet areas
- Overall condition of the building structure
- Potential safety hazards